Cooking Your Fresh Turkeys
It's best to cook your turkey using the method that works best for you! These are just a few suggestions.
Do not overcook! - Fresh turkeys are young, tender and juicy and they cook more quickly than a previously frozen one. Moreover, they are high in protein, low in calories and cholesterol.
To Cook your Fresh Turkey:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Add approximately 2 cups of water in bottom of pan, 4 cups for larger birds.
- Salt and pepper the turkey, add a few pats of butter on skin and sprinkle with a little flour for a tasty skin.
- Cook at 450 degrees for the 1st hour.
- Lower temperature to 350 degrees for the remainder of time.
- Turkeys require approximately 10 minutes per pound and should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Stuffed turkeys take longer (at least 1/2 hour longer or more).
- Use a covered pan or make a tent with tinfoil.
- Remove lid the last 1/2 hour if not sufficiently browned
- .Refrigerate any leftovers.
Thank you and enjoy your turkey!